I am inspired by Chris Guillebeau. He shared a deeply personal annual review on his blog, The Art of Non-Conformity. Problem for me is a lack of process. I can see from Chris’s post that he creates a detailed set of goals and then conducts quarterly reviews. I would think it makes the Q4 review a little easier to manage! But have to start somewhere, so here we go.
- Rang in the New Year in Mexico. A nice family dinner at Corazon Cafe where a singer played guitar. Moved from sleepy La Paz to a big Cabo resort where the kids ran around the pool and played for 5 days.
- Woke up one morning with a full dose of inspiration. Created a new architecture for my blog.
- Bought a “Los Cabos” journal for an e-course with Brene Brown. The content followed her book, “The Gifts of Imperfection”.
- Practice is a Process
- Travelled to Oslo, Norway for the first work trip of the year. Left my family in Calgary, on the way home from Mexico and peeled off via London.
- Got my hair cut quite short. It was time for a change and the end game was to let my natural color come through. But we made a tiny mistake by putting so much light hair dye in. First I looked grey already and second lots of my natural color is a much darker!
- A few days spent in Denver, Colorado on a work trip.
- Back to Oslo, Norway early in the month.
- On the way home, stopped in Calgary where my parents picked me up for the short trip to Fairmont, B.C. Skied at Kimberly and Panorama during a week of vacation.
- Sent my daughter off on her own to Calgary by plane. She was thrilled.
- On the way to the airport, near the end of the month, was hit by 2 cars near the entrance to the tunnel. My car ended up being written off. I had to catch a later flight to Calgary.
- Spent a few days in Bassano, Alberta with my daughter. My Aunt hosted a kind of retreat, which was lovely.
- Renovations on the new MBR were coming along nicely in early April.
- Quick trip to Oslo, Norway.
- Bought a new car.
- April 12th we had a warm enough day to wear shorts and sit in the sun!
- Around my birthday, headed off to Munich, Germany. Another work trip where we ended up in Austria. The last of the “fancy dress” parties.
- Tacked on an extra day to spend May 1st walking around Munich with a dear friend.
- Early May, off to Newport, Rhode Island for a work trip. Entertained customers at The New York Yacht club and sailing on an old America’s Cup boat.
- May 27th, the garden was in full bloom. Didn’t get to plant anything this year. Enjoyed everything that was already there!
- Fallow State
- June 2, our first crab boil of the season.
- Spent my anniversary working in Seattle, Washington.
- My Son graduated grade 7. A big one for him as he would head to a private school in the Fall, leaving 8 years of friendships behind.
- Tried my first Annie Sloan painting projects after taking the course at The Passionate Home in Langley.
- The MALM Transformation
- Inspired by Paint
- Ringing in my husband’s birthday and Canada Day, we spent a few days on the Sunshine Coast. Unfortunately the weather was less sunshine and more rain forest.
- Personal Space
- Attended the most amazing conference called “The World Domination Summit” in Portland Oregon.
- Service, Community, Adventure
- Drove to Bassano, Alberta and then back to Calgary. Spent a few days recovering from all that driving. Picked up my kids and drove back to Vancouver. Managed to avoid any hail damage in what was one of the worst seasons for the area.
- Canned a few jars of beans as they were coming off the fields. Processed bushels of fruit for our freezer.
- Food Preservation
- Renovations of the MBR were almost complete. Bought some artwork at the White Rock Farmer’s Market and finished the last of the Annie Sloan paint projects.
- On the way to Oslo, Norway stopped in Stockholm, Sweden for a long weekend with my girls. 2 dear friends who also work where I do. One based in Stockholm and one in Hong Kong.
- Stockholm Helgen
- Home on my son’s birthday with great plans to be “present” for him. However, the travel was starting to catch up with me. Had the worst swelling in my legs. Felt – just – bad. Ended up sleeping for a long time.
- Teenager in the House
- Mid August, picked up my nephews from the airport and then shipped all 3 boys off to camp on Thetis Island.
- Took a last week of summer vacation when my Sister and Parents arrived from Alberta. All the kids took a week of skim boarding camp at White Rock beach.
- My sister and I, taught ourselves how to add beads into a knitting project. Made great progress early on, as usual!
- The Good Beach Life
- Private School
- Early days, my daughter was not back in school. That was due to the Provincial teachers being on strike. We had an interesting experiment in home schooling, which my daughter did not enjoy.
- Education Hacking
- Mid September, off to Hong Kong for the better part of 2 weeks. This was a long trip and I suffered coming come with adjusting back to the schedule. For many nights, had to take sleeping pills. This was unusual and a little concerning.
- Early October off to Alicante, Spain. Another long trip, about 10 days. While it was a fantastic location and I quite enjoyed much of it, had a very tough time with my mood. Even had an episode of what I could only call “panic” which was very strange. Made an appointment with my doctor.
- Extreme Sports
- Missed Canadian Thanksgiving which was a bummer. This is a non denominational holiday all about food!
- My husband who was the VP of Marketing for a high tech company was laid off as they continued to downsize staff. This is no fun to go through, but he successfully negotiated a fair severance.
- Dia de Muertos Shrines
- Last day of October we adopted a cat. Not sure what we were thinking. But he is considered a “senior” as a 7 year old. At least we stopped short of a kitten, (we almost adopted 2 kittens), who would have tore our house apart.
- Creative Soul
- Joined a knit-a-long where I created a very nice hat. My daughter, who looks amazing in hats, immediately laid claim to it. That works well, I look terrible in hats.
- Hosted a work friend for dinner in White Rock and she gave me a lovely present!
- Day trip to Calgary, mid month.
- Picked up my Aunt and Uncle arriving from Calgary who were staying at our house for a week.
- Spent a fantastic week in New Orleans, Louisiana on a vacation of a lifetime! Really felt like I was in another world.
- True Rest & Relaxation
- One more trip to Calgary for work with a couple of days added on. Relaxed for the weekend at my parents house, attended a Christmas party at my sister’s house and a family Christmas dinner. Super nice.
- A Christmas Eve flight to Mexico. Will spend the last days of the year, back where the year started.
- A group of three represent woman from all over the world. We will do amazing things.
- A new beginning for my husband, built from the ashes of the past.